Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Literacy Autobiography Questions

Ayisha Dobson
February 9, 2009
ENG-1000C
1. My first thoughts about words, reading, and writing would have to date back to preschool. I started when I was three and I can remember learning the alphabet, having my teachers and parents read me stories and tracing letters. I learned to speak English and Spanish from my parents and grandparents mostly.
2. An early experience I had with music had to be when Selena died back in 1995. My cousin and I were in love with her last hit “dreaming of you” When read and studied the lyrics over and over. I learned to appreciate music and actually really pay attentions to the words. It touched me in an emotional sense.
3. Spanish, my mother is Dominican which makes me half Dominican. I don’t speak proper or fluently. I understand a lot and can speak well enough to get by. I can write in Spanish a little. I use my Spanish when speaking to my mother’s side of the family. Or when I travel or happen to be only around Spanish speaking people I can translate for others or communicate with the Spanish speaking people. A couple of times at my different workplaces I had to use Spanish to help customers or my co-workers.
4. I don’t really face conflicts with my home language. But I can say I have a bad habit of using internet lingo to express myself. When doing school work sometimes I have to correct myself because I can catch myself writing like I’m talking on the web or talking with friends.
5. I remember learning how to write, read, and spell in my first years of grammar school. In the first grade I remember we had spelling and reading test every single Friday. I was obsessed with perfection and I wouldn’t settle for less than 100. My mom quizzed me every Thursday night before bedtime to make sure I was prepared to get 100 on that test the next day.
6. When I was in the six grade I wrote a poem about 9/11. It started off as just a class assignment but my teacher was really impressed and entered my poem into a local contest. My poem won and my principal made me write it on a big poster board draw it a picture along with it. It was posted in the hallways for everyone to see. I felt accomplished with my writing skills and poetry.
7. Yes I fall in love all the time with lyrics to songs. Mainly to pieces by Alicia Keys, Beyonce, John Legend, India Arie, and the list goes on. One of my all time favorites is Beyonce “flaws and all”.
8. My high school English teacher, Mrs. Bartholomew. She was very stern but she cared to help all of her students whenever we needed help.
9. Diaries, letters, online writing and poetry help me find myself. My writing comes out from the inside. I can express myself more and be true. I can express myself more freely and not hold back and say whatever I have to say and what’s on my mind.
10. To be honest I don’t read on my free time as much as I should. But if I do read a book for leisure it’s because someone told me it was a really good book or I had to read it for an assignment. I know every time I read I learn something new and I expand my vocabulary.
11. I prefer to type on my laptop when writing and I like a lounge setting. I hate complete silence so I like it when a movie is playing or music in the back playing softly. But when I’m writing a letter or poem I usually tend to grab a pen and paper and just start writing.
12. As a writer and learner I think my strengths are my ability to listen well and learn quickly. I can take advice from others to better myself. I like to learn and hear of ways to better my writing. I can contribute my thoughts and what I think can help others in my learning community.

No comments:

Post a Comment