Wednesday, April 28, 2010

story of interview

I met up with my mother at her house in Connecticut. I was

going home for the weekend anyways because she hasn’t been

feeling too well. My father came out to queens to come get me

and bring me home. When I told my mom I had to do the interview

she wasn’t to thrill at first because she kept complaining about

how she wasn’t feeling too good, but when I got there on Friday

she told me she was feeling better. I was happy so now I didn’t

feel like I had to force her or get a bad interview because she

wasn’t up for it. My mother likes to talk a lot so I knew she

wouldn’t mind me doing an interview on her. I choose a lot of

questions based on my mother’s childhood and earlier life

because I was interested in it. I feel like my mother has shared

a lot of stories with me but she never really goes into dept.

We did the interview in the kitchen during the afternoon. I

wanted to do it at this time because I knew my mother wouldn’t

be busy taking care of my sister or father or have to worry

about making dinner. Her focus would be completely on me and the

interview, no interruptions or noise just us.

Before the interview I kind of just wanted to do it and get

it over with. But as time went on and the questions got more

interesting I was having fun with my mother and felt as if we

were bonding. Her stories were good, sweet, sad, romantic and

made me laugh. My mother is a lovely and friendly woman for the

most part but she really keeps a lot of things inside to herself

so during the interview it was really good to see her opening

herself up more to me. After the interview was over I realized

that my mom was young once and had a life full of lessons and

experiences. Being that see is my mom sometimes that’s all I see

her as and now my eyes are opened to the fact that she is a

daughter, a sister, a lover, and so much more to her than just

being my mother.

My mother is usually all smiles, so her pretty face smiled

all throughout the interview. She talks really fast so I had to

keep telling her to slow down or repeat herself as I was writing

what she said. Her tone of voice is very pleasant. I can tell my

mom sort of felt happy and important to me that I was interested

and what she was saying. I love that feeling and I could tell

she loved it too. For the first time in a long time we had a

conversation that opened us to each other. I learned a lot from

this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment